Most people have trouble sleeping at one time or another – this is usually temporary and can be the result of stress, unusual work hours and/or a health condition. When you have a sleep disorder you find it hard falling asleep and staying asleep and/or your sleep problems interfere with your daily routines (school, work, parenting responsibilities, etc.). Sleep disorders not only cause extreme fatigue during the day, they also negatively affect your emotional and physical wellbeing. Minds For The Future psychologists can help you effectively manage your health condition so that you can get a good night’s rest.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep
- Restless sleep (exhausting, light, and/or uneven)
- Waking up multiple times during the night
- Self-medicating (sleeping pills, alcohol/drugs and/or supplements) in order to sleep throughout the night
- Extreme fatigue (sleepiness) throughout the day
- Thyroid Malfunction
- Nightmares/Night Terrors
- Sleep Apnea
- Night Shift (Work)
- Jet Lag
- Sleep Diary: If you are having trouble sleeping, a sleep diary may help you identify what is causing your sleep problems. Minds For The Future psychologists can help you pinpoint the nighttime habits that are contributing to your health condition. During sessions, your psychologist will ask you to record your sleep patterns in a sleep diary. Your psychologist will then discuss those patterns with you and help you develop ways to alter them so that you sleep soundly at night.
- A Consistent Sleep Schedule: A beneficial way to lower your risk of sleep disorders is to adhere to a consistent sleep schedule. Minds For the Future psychologists can help you develop and follow a regular sleep program. During sessions, your psychologist will help you create a schedule that states when it is time for you to go to sleep and when it is time for you to wake up.
- Stress Management: Chronic stress is one of the reasons why people have trouble falling asleep. When you are overwhelmed, it can cause you to think too much. When your mind constantly races, it negatively affects your ability to fall asleep and stay asleep. Minds For The Future psychologists can teach you stress management techniques that can help manage your health condition and restore the peace in your life. During sessions, you will learn how to set priorities, delegate tasks, ask for help and take breaks when you need them.
- Exercise: One of the most effective ways to reduce stress and relax from a long and/or stressful day is to exercise. Minds For The Future psychologists can help you develop an exercise routine that is best for you. Regular exercise not only supports sound sleep, it also helps you fall asleep more quickly. Avoid exercising too close to bedtime because it can stimulate your body and mind and keep you awake longer. During session, your psychologist will assess your health condition and help you find physical activities and/or exercise routines that will promote sound and peaceful sleep.
Sleep Disorders Sleep Disorders Sleep Disorders