Relationship and Marriage Counselling : Overcome the hurdles
Relationship and marriage counselling, also known as couples counselling, focuses on relationship-based issues. The two individuals in the relationship are considered the “clients.” Your relationship (i.e. spouse or companion) will not prosper if it is not based on love, trust, honesty and respect. It is not uncommon to base your self-esteem, self-identity and/or self-worth on the condition of your relationship. In other words, your happiness may stem from whether or not the relationship is doing well or struggling.
Moreover, job-related pressures, ineffective communication, financial problems and/or health conditions can emotionally and physically drain you and your partner to the point that it causes relationship issues. Furthermore, the coping mechanisms you learn from your parents can follow you into your adult relationships, resulting in relationship discord. Minds For The Future psychologists can help you and your partner resolve your marriage and relationship issues and restore the love you once shared.
Signs of Relationship and Marriage Troubles
- Lack of Communication
- Reduced Intimacy
- Frequent Arguments
- Emotional and/or Physical Abuse
- Lack of Trust
Causes of Relationship and Marriage Troubles
- Unrealistic Expectations
- Health Conditions
- Major Life Changes (Birth of a Child, Death of Family Member, Change in Living Location and/or Job, etc.).
- Intimidation and/or Pressure
- Disappointment, Resentment and/or Anger
- “Empty Nest” Syndrome
- Identify Unhealthy Patterns: Minds For The Future psychologists can help you and your partner pinpoint unhealthy patterns. Your psychologist will teach you and your partner how to recognise the internal and external factors that are causing conflicts within your relationship. During sessions, your Minds For The Future psychologist will not only teach you and your partner how to examine and avoid these patterns, he/she will also guide you and your partner on healthier ways of communicating and problem-solving.
- Communicate in a New Way: Minds For The Future psychologists can teach you and your partner how to effectively communicate with each other. During sessions, your psychologist will help you and your partner work through your relationship issues by teaching you better communication skills. Your Minds For The Future psychologist will also teach you how to control your emotions, actively listen, compromise and stay calm in the middle of a disagreement.
- Change Unhealthy Behaviours: If unhealthy behaviours are causing issues in your relationship, Minds For The Future psychologists can help change those negative behaviours. During sessions, your psychologist will help you and your partner own up to behaviours that are damaging your relationship. Your psychologist will also help you and your partner improve the way you respond to one another, in an effort to repair and/or strengthen your relationship.
- Highlight Strengths: If you and your partner have forgotten what initially attracted you to one another, Minds For The Future psychologists can help you rekindle the love you once shared. During sessions, your psychologist will help you and your partner focus on what you love about each other and your relationship. Your psychologist may also assign “homework” where you and your partner take turns doing something nice and/or helpful for one another.
Relationship and Marriage Counselling